Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My vision: my Reality

It's been seven years, two months and nine days since we lost Hannah.  Many thought we'd never last as a charity, let alone a family, together.  Well we are.

In January 2008 I met Rachelle and Richard Beesley who set me on a path to follow a dream to become a Swimming Instructor.   Only problem:  I hated water.  Freaked out at Chlorine.  Cried when I saw blonde hair blue eyed girls in purple swimmers and the list went on.
Harry and I in Sydney whilst he was doing KASS.  Lunch at Bondi

I so badly wanted to make a difference in the water but for the past seven years its been outside.  Well up until now that is.

On the 10th November 2014 I finally finished my ASCTA Learn to Swim.   Its taken seven years in and out of the water, multiple sessions with my private psychiatrist and help from Professional Counsellor Dawn Macintyre to get to this point.   Professionals gave me the power in  my mind amidst all the trauma to get through this but what truly did make the solid difference to my success and confidence was a few people in the swim industry who made it happen.  Some public and a few private who choose not to be mentioned on my rippled journey.

I have spent time in schools volunteering to watch kids in the water, visiting swim schools and just sitting by the pool watching, observing and coming home to write my notes and views.  I've seen many things that make me shudder and thank the stars that we don't have more statistics.   I pulled a child from the water not so long back and I did it without batting an eye lid.  This child clearly just forgot to kick and was in trouble and sank wide eyed looking at us from the side of the pool.   Others just stood thinking I was crazy but clearly NOT many adults KNOW what drowning looks like or when a swimmer is in trouble.  Adults need to be more aware, whilst supervision is active what could seem as seemless fun could infact be a child in trouble.  I overheard a parent on the course of my LTS Journey that their child was a 'lazy kicker' in the pool.  I've heard 'my kids can swim 200m blah blah' yet when put the test the kids can't even get to the side of the pool let alone contemplate the end of the lane.  It's scary.

With my time at KASS in Sydney in 2008 and again for six weeks with our son Harry in 2010 I observed and asked so many questions I was empowered.   When we travelled to the USA in 2012 to attend the NDPA conference in San Diego I spoke to many about Infant Swim in Australia, Learn to Float in the USA and other programs that focus on Survival.  Its about surviving the water fun that can turn deadly in seconds. 

I focus on survival.   The messages of safety are important and children and their parents get them at every lesson. I dont intend to set out to teach a champion.  I want survival.  Survival to keep kids fit. Survival skills to help kids problem solve and empower kids with enough information that they respect the water.  I can tell you the amount of children between 8 and 18 that play dangerous games, enter risk and dares is beyond comprehension.   We only have seen the statistics but I can assure you, if your boy is aged in this bracket at one point in his life he will take a water risk.   Educate them.

KASS started me off on my journey.  We wanted to open a swim school in QLD to just teach survival.  It is still a dream but now I am closer to it.  The Survival is still not supported as a regime but that's okay. For me, I know it works and I just wish Hannah had of had that opportunity because we will never know if it could have saved her.

From KASS we ventured to Goodna Pool with Justin Lemberg (former Olympian, Darren, Di, Judy and his team).   After a fatal at their public pool I had formed a relationship with both Justin and Di as professionals to guide me further on my journey.  I asked questions.  I nagged them about programs and WHY this was done and why that was done.  It all aided me in my quest.

For the past five years Ive battled the demons of the pool.  Just getting myself in the water was an enormous task.  The fears and flashbacks of Hannah in the pool was horrific that I'd shake and I had to get out.   I would sit at the side and dabble my feet.    Watch kids playing.  One time I left the pool in tears and couldn't even manage the 50 minute drive home. I sat for hours in the car park asking myself "what the hell am i doing this for?"

Dawn Macintyre was my sounding board of frustration and my inabilities.  My Psychiatrist had diagnosed me with multiple disorders which were helpful but I felt labelled and over medicated.   I don't want to be a label in the pool.  I don't want to be a LTS who a mother of a child who drowned but sadly I do and I am.  That's my reality.   Who wants their child taught by a mother who failed to supervise her child?   There's a few which is encouraging.

My log book is extensive with observations at 9 swim schools around three states of Australia 2 in the USA and over 167 hrs in the water with kids and instructors and 111 beside the pool.   I've over exerted myself with knowledge but I'm grateful for the opportunity.

In 2013 my life took a turn in April for the worst.  A health scare made me organise my life with an updated Will and making arrangements for possible Physcial care.   Suffering the worst two surgeries in nine days and cardiac issues and being in ICU i re-evaluated my life as it was.

In October 2013 I ventured back into the pool.  Just walking and getting my strength back was the biggest struggle.  Walking hurt, my back hurt everything from surgery hurt and it was weak.   My physiotherapist and Surgeon said "to strength your lower body you must get in the water'.  The ground could have swallowed me then and there.   

So swim I did.

Eve Fraser at Greenbank and her manager Viki got me in the pool walking laps for hours I just walked at chest height with the water slapping my slides.  It tooks me 3 times a week to get the courage up to book in to what would ultimately now change my life.   I booked a Learn to Swim course to become a teacher.

I bit the bullet so to speak.  My Husband Andrew was worried of course and I battled and cried as I struggled with my health (he had taken four months off to look after me and the kids) and then to get fit was the life changer.  I was losing weight.  I was walking faster, coping with stair cases, even riding a horse again which my surgeon suggested was probably not a good idea but I LOVE RIDING.

I've seen some of the best at work and I am truly blessed.   I've managed two CPR courses in 13 months and a First Aid course something many of us try to avoid having lost a child with our fruitless attempts.  I am now qualified and I aim to equip kids with skills, knowledge, fitness and survival skills to the best of my ability and help those kids, who like me, fear the water.   I don't ever proclaim to the best but I am good at it.

My dream to one day opening up the Hannahs Foundation Not For Profit Swim School is one step closer to our dream for our baby girl and it's her, my family and all those who have helped this journey, have made it possible.

Never tell me I cant do it.  Because I have and I am determined to make a difference. To all those parents who think they can't do something, you can.  It's taken me seven years and it's been one hell of a wild ride.

Kat Plint
Learn to Swim Instructor


 

1 comment:

  1. WELL DONE KAT. Keep going you inspire me to get off my backside.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete